Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Leaving behind something treasured...

I was reading a post on the Camino forum about a pelegrino who threw into the water at Cabo Fisterre--his knife. It had cut many bocadillos (Spanish for sandwiches) and fruit and cheese for him along El Camino. And yet he wanted to leave it there, to decompose in the water and return to the elements that possibly was used to forge it.

I thought about that post...and realized that inadvertently I left behind in Fisterre--something treasured! My polar Buff! The one that a friend gave me two years ago and I never wore. Even though it can be worn 10 different ways according to the packaging. Until El Camino...where it became a treasured item! An item that kept my head warm in the wind, cold, rain with the polar end of it. Or the chill with the regular side of it. Kept my face warm when the wind was fierce! I loved it because I could wear it to keep my head warm even with my hair (which y'all know is long) up in its bun configuration!

Well..I walked about the tiny town of Fisterre on Saturday after my walk to Cabo Fisterre! And somewhere in that tiny town, I lost my polar Buff :-(. :-(. When I noticed it was not with me anymore...I retraced my steps in this tiny town. And was quite dismayed :-(. No luck in finding my polar Buff!

Now...it is Tuesday and I trust that, that polar Buff is keeping someone else's head or neck warm! In the meantime, I bought another in Santiago yeaterday! So this is my souvenir of Santiago! I included a photo of the polar Buff and instructions in case you're wondering (like I did when I heard the term 'Buff') -- what the h--- is a Buff?

And yes...I am getting better at demoing the different ways of wearing it--better than two years ago when it was given to me and there is a photo of me somewhere trying to wear the darn thing! It is not a darn thing today :-)

Buen Camino!

No comments: