Friday, November 30, 2012

29 Noviembre 2012 -- Hola Madrid!

Well, I guess I'm not in Kansas anymore :-)

Judging by the buildings I see as the taxi takes me from the train station to the hostal. Judging by the shops I see as the taxi moves in and out of the busy city streets.

Judging by how how I feel! For the first time in a long while I have an upset stomach. This is a city that smokes :-| so even though the hostal is smoke-free, the smell of cigarette smoke wafts here and there. And the busy-ness. As I go out to explore this very big city...capital of Spain! Perhaps one day here would have been better.

All Good...to notice what I notice after my Camino! Definitely the energy of this city is swirling around me. It's sensory, commercial, urban overwhelming after such quiet surroundings. And so much--shops, buildings, people, traffic. Perhaps staying 2 blocks near the Gran Via was not a good idea? Although it's quiet on this narrow street! And I have a back room.

I am reminded of my re-entry after being in the rainforest in Ecuador and then Quito--sitting at the airport, feeling everyone and everything rushing and all that was overwhelming.

Oh well...Tom recommended I see Museo Sorollo so I will make my way there either via foot or the Metro.

Yet first...food as it's been since lunch yesterday that I ate. As I walked the couple blocks from my hotel or rather hostal to Gran Via...I noticed this Chinese restaurant. And hot soup sounded good! Especially since it is a bit chilly here :-). Glad the sun is shining!

Voila... Won ton soup (with the teeny, tiny dried shrimp in the broth) definitely hit the spot! And spinach sautéed with garlic--tasty! Tea with real tea leaves - no bag tea :-). Buen provinco!

For some reason, I am very cold and still now feeling well, so I head back to the hostal for more layers! Instead, I take a rest that turns into sleep...into the evening. Kind and gentle to myself -- re-entering a very large city, especially one as colorful and vibrant as Madrid, requires adjustment time after being on Camino for 64 days!

Tomorrow is another day!

Buen Camino!

No comments: