Monday, September 29, 2014

29 September 2014 Update.....

What a weather change -- from 70+ degrees (feels like 80)! warm breeze, sun yesterday (28 September 2014) to 40+ degrees (feels like 30), howling wind, no sun today....I am being prepped for my train trip across Canada to Vancouver.

Wednesday I train to Montreal (about three hours) for a first-time visit there and then on to Toronto next Tuesday (about five hours by train) to board The Canadian to Vancouver.  It leaves 22:00 on Tuesday and arrives in Vancouver on 11 October 2014 -- 9:30.

I just located this route guide which I will see about getting in hard copy at the train station.  Looking forward to the experience.


For once, buying a ticket last minute did not amount to a lower fare.  If I had booked early as I read in a number of blog posts over the last few days, I might have found a low fare.  Future reference in case I decide this is something to do again.

I kept going back and forth between a lower berth discounted fare and a cabin for one discounted fare.  The possibility of toilet smells in the cabin for one was the deciding factor since it's all in one small space.  Decided to get the lower berth discounted fare.  Grateful to have found blog posts with photos of the different sleeping class of service.  The VIA Rail site was not helpful in that way.  And the descriptions were helpful and not with the fact that the cabin for one converts the seat by day into bed by night by folding the Murphy bed down over the toilet seat.  I have to remind myself -- this is a train car after all -- with only so much space to allocate for sleeping :-)

By the time I get to Vancouver, will get a sense of the transportation back home.  On the other hand, I have not seen my 78 year old friend in Los Angeles in over a year.....

This is continuing to be another one of my awesome travel experiences!  And I am grateful for the abundance to do one of the things I love!  Thank You Source!


No comments: