Saturday, September 20, 2014

19 August 2014 -- Washington DC



My Amtral ticket is purchased for a Thursday departure!  And I visited with my two friends.  Guess I will venture into DC today (Tuesday) and see sights I've not seen in a while.

Like the National Gallery sculpture garden!  Now that I think of it...last time I was here was with my two friends with the adult children!  Then...the adult children were kids!







And I walked across The Mall to check out the Hirschhorn.  Figured I take a pic of the Capital.  And the Washington monument.





And next to the Hirschhorn is this garden with some unusual plants.  Like this one with thorns on its leaves.  Or this hanging flower.





And then went through the National Gallery with this great quiet green space in the center.  Now I am museum'ed out, hungry and ready for lunch...



With the help of Google Maps found this restaurant Legal Seafood.  I was in the mood for soft shell crabs and this place was suggested when I googled.  Unfortunately, no soft shells on the menu.  So I opted for crab cake appetizer!  Which was the perfect quantity!  And all crab-minimal filler!  Delish!



And decided I had room for dessert...key lime tart!


Dessert was far too much for me so after that I walked a few blocks to the Chinatown gate.  Then decided to catch a bus to check out a thrift store! That was an adventure since by the time I found the thrift store, it was closed for break.  And the guy outside watching over the paintings and furniture on the sidewalk said the owner would be back in 15 minutes.  I think that was code for one hour.  Because that's how long I waited and just when I was going to give it up and leave the owner arrived.  No Corning Ware and was entertaining to people watch while I waited.

It's hot and humid!  Definitely time to take Metro back to the hotel and call it a day!  And on the way home I can stop at the mall (across the street from a Metro stop so very convenient).  I decided to purchase the SD card reader for the iPad Mini.  Don't need it, yet my intuition said buy it since the Apple store in the mall is on my way back to the hotel.  Probably a good thing to have (as I would learn later in my travels).  Gotta love my intuitive hits.






No comments: