Tuesday, September 2, 2014

More Regarding My Hometown Visit....

Ok I am looking at photos and realized I forgot :-) a few things.

Was fun visiting my friend.  She works so it was perfect -- while she went off to work, I had quiet time to interview attorneys :-) and remind myself that once I was done for that hour or so, I could return to being on holiday :-). And go out on my own.  Yummy lunches on my own.  Tasty dinners together either home-cooked or at restaurants nearby on MacArthur Avenue.

Since Bill's BBQ was closed, I wanted a taste of Virginia BBQ, so I ate lunch one day at Dot's Back Inn.  Was good, yet not quite the same :-)


Then another day, I went to Kitchen 64 and had a lamb burger.



One night, we checked out a Greek restaurant that had recently opened on MacArthur Avenue.  My friend and her sister had not eaten there yet.  The moussaka was rich with velvety bechamel sauce and a nice touch of sliced potatoes as a base.  The portion was large so I had another meal to take home :-)


And I liked that the spinach was welted with a slight lemony taste!


Another night, I had a tasty (and beautifully plated) beet, arugula, goat cheese salad with flatbread.  I love arugula!




And for my final meal in Richmond (since my friend had a meeting after work)...I went back to the Greek restaurant for lamb chops!  Cooked medium rare.  So tende and moist!  YUMMMMM!  I gave a shout out to the chef it was that good!


Went along with the Woo sisters to The Jefferson hotel (site of one sister's son's upcoming wedding and reception so they were checking out the rooms with the site coordinator).  The stairwell was used in a scene of Gone With The Wind.  Not sure if that is true and it makes a good factoid :-)








Went for a walk near my friend's home.  On two different days!  Happy the sun was filtered which kept the high humidity bearable :-) as I walked!

Her neighborhood is known for these beautiful row of trees.


And walked down nearby Hermitage Road.  Was surprised to see these hens pecking the ground beneath this magnolia tree.  Surprised since this is on a street with four lanes.



And saw this beautiful flower.



And this beautiful home...there are a lot like this on this section of Hermitage Road.


One day I took the bus to Cary Towne .. a street with shops and restaurants that was popular when I was growing up and still is.  Was fun to see the architecture as I walked on neighboring streets, that I recall from my youth.



WOW...a gas street light!


And the older street signs...


And met up with my friend and her sister at the Virginia Museum.  We sat outside overlooking the installation by Dale Chihuly (Red Reeds).




And as we sipped on wine...we noticed people with yoga mats arriving piecemeal on the grass area behind us.  Must be yoga night at the Museum.  And very popular...


And one Saturday I wanted to quickly stop in at a shop on Hermitage Road to see if they had a silver plate holder of crystals and stones that goes on a neck chain.  The one I had with me broke.  The owner waited on me.  As she and I chatted, I said that I was born and raised here.  And she said then I might know her husband.  Turns out I do...her husband (in this photo) -- his grand-father is my great-uncle (on my father's side).  I have no clue if that makes us second cousins removed or what.  I had not seen her husband since I was in high school, during the annual Easter gathering of all the relatives to visit the relatives buried at the cemetary.  Fast forward to now...he's quite a magician which is this section of the shop!  Fantastic!






No comments: