Thursday, April 28, 2016

Lessons learned from a purse stolen....

It's Wednesday, April 27....last Wednesday daytime, I arrived in LA for a week long visit with my friend.  To celebrate her "divisible-by-5" birthday.  Little did we know that this would be a memorable birthday in more ways than either of us would imagine.

That Wednesday night....her purse was stolen from the back of her chair, while she, her 2 friends, and I were at a wine bar.  We were sitting a a small, round, high-top table in a small wine bar.  The place was not very crowded.  We had a fabulous time.  None of us saw anything unusual....so we were stunned to find her purse missing when we got up to leave several hours later.

Afterwards.....it was an emotional and exhausting 12 to 24 hours....as she had 'everything' in her purse.  We were both glad that I was staying with her.....to help her with the 'after' of such a traumatic and stressful set of circumstances.

We got a lot done in 12-24 hours.  So we felt better as each stop-gap was placed.  And all in time to en-joy a planned outing on Friday night to a performance by her friend Kristin Korb (an amazing jazz bassist and singer) at a cozy, house concert hosted by Alan Goldman.

And lessons I learned from this experience....
--Be sure your AND your girlfriends' purses are safe from being taken when in a public place--no matter how nice and safe the place looks, feels, etc, etc.

--Carry in your purse ONLY the credit cards, ATM cards, etc. necessary for the outing.  Her 'everything' included checkbook, social security card, car registration, besides credit cards and ATM cards.

I am in LAX now awaiting my flight home.  I just finished looking at what is in my wallet.  And there are two different ATM cards I do not need to carry with me at all times given how I use them.  Same with a PayPal secure ID.  So when I arrive home, I plan to travel outside my home with.....only items necessary for that outing.  Makes me think of what I read in Marie Kondo's book....she arrives home, un-packs her purse, thanks everything for a wonderful day, put all the items away.  Next day, she starts a-new.  I shall see how this change in my habit and routine works.

No comments: