Friday, July 18, 2014

Window Shopping :-)

It's Friday, 18 July and we're in Whiteville (waiting for the car to be washed so perfect time for me to sit & write :-) while my sister shops).

My sister likes to shop with someone so my visit means trips from her home in Lake Waccamaw to nearby Wilmington, Whiteville, Tanger Outlet Mall.  Window-shopping as my mother would say, since we love to walk around, look, and hardly buy anything.  For me it's fun because I rarely shop at these stores by the same name in CA, so to walk around them means seeing some place new, being out of the heat and in air conditioned comfort.  For her it's fun because she gets to shop with someone.  And have a navigator in the car.

The only thing I am ISO are thrift stores as I am ISO of Corning Ware :-). En-joying the hunt :-) for pieces in thrift stores since reading about it and its history back in March.  Now I cook with it on the stove top.  And like it.  Got used to square non-metal pots :-). And have not donated my metal pans...yet.

From the 1950's until the 1990's, Corning Ware was made for stove top use (as well as being oven-safe, freezer-safe, broiler-safe). So hunting in thrift stores is kinda fun!  And finding a piece for less than 10$ is way-fun!

Today...I found handles which was the first time for me to find.  Granted I have probably been to 10 thrift stores since March so it's not like I am obsessed with the hunt :-)



Then we went to a thrift store in Whiteville's main street,  And had to stop at Wards Grill across the street from the thrift store to have a 'Wards Grill hamburger all the way'...hamburger with cheese, chili, and grilled onions. Perfect size for a light lunch and what a moist burger even though it was cooked well-done.  This is all they serve and it's carry-out only!  Good thing I knew of the sitting area across the street :-)







YUMMMMM!



And now energized...onto the next thrift store which was more antique store.  Look what else I found...Corning Ware Heaven :-). Prices were over my 10$ limit, considering I will be mailing my finds back home :-)


Thursday...we went to Wilmington, NC.  And with the help of GPS, we went to 4 thrift stores.  And found four pieces...the 8 inch skillet, the 9 inch pie plate, and the Sidekick are additions to my 'collection' while the GrabIt bowl makes three I have.  The GrabIt bowls cook up individual servings of steel cut oatmeal nicely!



Wednesday, we headed to Tanger Outlet Mall.  And I thought of June when I saw the sign for this (see photo below).  Love you June -- my shopping and looking-around friend!  June...recognize my shopping bag?


Window Shop Til We Drop :-)

No comments: