Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Roma...2 to 8 Septiembre 2012

Eat, Pray, Love book, page 103...Giulio is explaining to Liz Gilbert -- what is the word of the city? Every city has a single word that defines it, identifies most of the people that live there. If your personal word does not match the word of the city, then you don't belong there.

What is the word that defines Roma, Lazio, Italy for me? And what is my personal word?

HMMMM...Roma...busy?

Me...quiet

No wonder I am content to wander about Roma with my friend June being the tour planner. I'm happy to read the public transport map and navigate us around Roma while she figures out the daily itinerary.

And ok to move on to Lourdes, France...yet not before we'd seen most of the famous Roma sites...Cite Vaticano, Sistine Chapel, Basilica de Saint Pietro, Pathenon, Colosseo, Bocca della Verita, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain.

And eatten lots of tasty food...panini, buccatini, fusilli, pizza, gelato, brasaloa, prosciutto crudo, arugula. Many times :-)

And for me drank decent house wine.

Then there are the FUN situations...the ones that one laughs both during and in hindsight.

Like forgetting to validate our ticket before boarding the train. The conductor shakes his head and we figure he is thinking 'silly tourists'.

Somehow I re-set the museum audio-guide from English to Italian--not once but twice. The second time I brought it to the counter...the male attendant without breaking a smile said didn't I want to learn Italian? And then as he exchanged it for a different audio-guide, said that will be another 7 euro because I broke the first set. I looked at him in disbelief, then noticed his female co-workers smiling. He must be a jokester!

Buen Camino!

No comments: