Monday, January 9, 2017

Worn Out :-)

It is 5 a.m. Madrid time on Friday, el 6 de enero de 2017.

Too much (and too worn out) to think and write in Spanish :-)

I finally got more than four hours of sleep.  

Slept from 8:30 pm last night until 3:30 am.  Woke up -- worn out still and my left wrist hurt even without moving it :-|.  Pain definitely takes a lot out of you!

As I do my Morning Pages...I see I am worn out....from last month (wrist inflammation began).  From traveling from home to airplane to hotel to homestay in the past four days, accompanied with four hours of sleep each night -- jet lag at its finest.  From 3 consecutive nights of sleep deprivation, especially for this Queen of Sleep.  From the inflamed left wrist.  From doing the simplest of things one-handed.

HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY to finally sleep 7 hours instead of four.  And to have the next four days with no plans except to take small actions that will benefit me, my wrist, my sleep, my wellbeing!  Today is a National holiday--Epiphany.  How's that for an epiphany :-)

YAYYYY... had my second sleep from 7:30 am to 12 noon.  Hot/cold water contrast soak & 600 mg ibuprofen at 5 am helped effects of inflammation and pain. Second sleep helped with effects of jet lag and sleep deprivation. Now for 600 mg more ibuprofen and a walk outside while the sun is shining.  And the temp is 50 degrees F.

¡Buen Viernes!
¡Buen Fin De Semana!

Update:
Started at 3:30 pm to explore the neighborhood (Chamberi).  Instead of my usual meandering from one street to another, I decided to walk on one street a number of blocks one way, then turn the corner left & walk one block, turn the corner left & walk down that street a number of blocks, turn the corner right & walk one block, turn the corner right & walk down that street a number of blocks, repeat, repeat, or meander.

Got one block from the homestay and saw a small eaterie that was open.  As it's a National holiday today--unsure what will be open so stopped for lunch.  YUMMMM....ensalada and my favorite--arugula--topped with porchetta and una copa de vino blanco. Delish...oops no saco un foto :-(   What?  no photo - I can tell I am still not my usual self...yet :-) And hey, the Spanish is kicking in :-)

Now 5:30 pm and time for another bathroom stop :-) Translation...tapa, servicios.  Perhaps vino.

I learned during orientation yesterday...those in Madrid live in small apartments and do not generally entertain at home for that reason.  Plus it keeps noise to a minimum for the building and neighbors.  This is the reason for lots of plazas and lots of places to eat.  Case in point.  I walked five blocks from my home stay.  Almost one bar (where one can get cafe, vino, cerveza, tapa) and one restaurant on every other block.  Good to know I will have plenty of bathrooms (servicos) when I need them :-). Plus 2.50 € is well worth los servicos y copa de vino.  Tapa es gratis.



Note to self...remember to bring Qlipters. No hooks so had to hang my bags and coat from my crossed knee :-|


Dinner is included in the homestay.  And the homestay hostess serves dinner at 8:30 pm daily.  A wonderful opportunity to eat what a local would eat at home and practice my Spanish.  Living in a homestay means speaking español solemente with the hostess.  And she keeps me to it, especially if she hears me talk to myself in English :-)

Tonight we are having tortilla de patata.


And afterwards, another homestayer and I walk two blocks to a street filled with bars and restaurants to have a glass of wine (area called Ponzano).  Per Accent's homestay policy, alcohol is not allowed in the homestay.  Love seeing the various varietals I have not seen before.  The vino (combination of treixadura, torrontés y loureiro) from the Ribeiro area was tasty!





Es la verdad....

No comments: