Sunday, June 21, 2015

español and practice...

It's 20 June 2015...so much for my thoughts of blogging after my birthday :-)

I have to smile and laugh at myself...as I reflect on where I've spent my time and energy since 12 April.

Mostly taking two beginning Spanish classes at City College of San Francisco from January to May.  Three nights a week..two hours each night.  What great classes even with the homework, language lab, posting en español on the class internet-forum.  Great because I am taking this class to learn the language not to satisfy some requirement.  I reminded myself of this (as did Tom) whenever the old thoughts creeped in before taking a test.  The test results just showed what I had learned and what I had not -- that's all.  I do not need to make an A.  And taking the classes showed me that as with all things...practice assists with getting it in my bones.

Mostly I write simple present tense sentences so that covers my writing practice.  And what I have learned this far -- we ended the semester with preterite (past) tense and I am still wrapping my brain around the conjugation!

Conversation is another story--¡estoy nervioso!  And have not gotten a fluent conversation buddy...yet...to challenge me.

Next month will challenge me -- I will be in Oaxaca City, Oaxaca, México.  Most of the time will be in cooking class (City College of San Francisco's culinary study abroad program) --taught in English.  And when there is free time -- practicing my Spanish conversation!  I find when I am immersed in a place where English is the second language...I fair much better in conversation.

Yes...practice makes things easier...and less daunting.  I have found that with a lot of things.  Cooking for one.  Replacing old non-beneficial habits with beneficial ones is another.

Cooking -- I consider myself an improv chef now.  Mostly because some nights I look at what's fresh in my icebox and put together a meal of mostly protein and veggies...healthy :-) ... pleasing presentation .. tasty ... easy to prepare.  The other night I had tilapia, so I mixed up 2 TBS of avocado oil and 1 TBS of goat milk yogurt and put the tilapia fillets in that mixture.  Then dredged the oil/yogurt coated fillets in a mixture of pecorino cheese, dry chervil (since I did not have fresh or dried parsley), and paprika.  Baked at 400 degrees for about 15 or so minutes.  The veggies - raw summer squash and carrot spaghetti tossed with olive oil, salt, pepper.  I must remember to take photos of what I cook :-)   Definitely in cooking class :-)

Replacing old non-beneficial habits -- that's a whole other blog post :-)  The short version:  this article Walking Your Talk:  The Path Of Personal Integrity...certainly had (and has) me reality check -- are my deeds and words in sync?  Am I allowing the Inner Bully, the Inner Doubter to rule my deeds and words?  And what about the External Bully or External Doubter?  As I like to say...Awareness Is A Great Teacher...and I continue to learn from this awareness.  And practice replacing old non-beneficial with new beneficial.

Link To Article

Next stop....Oaxaca CIty...

No comments: